Rebecca has been on a mission to create not just perfect portraits, but portraits that expand your beliefs about yourself and your gifts; portraits that serve as an anchor for your dreams and your connections. She is also on a mission to create remarkable experiences for you as well. Her fine art style and compassionate approach have distinguished Rebecca as the photographer for people who want exceptional images. Her guests describe her as genius, magical, and a true artist.
Rebecca is a founding member of the Thurmont Business Network. She supports the Standardbred Retirement Foundation, a horse-rescue organization and Blessings in a Backpack to end childhood food insecurity. Her photography studio also supports community based efforts for a variety of causes.
Here's the formal version
Rebecca LaChance PhD, is a photographer, philosopher, mentor, writer, and a speaker. After several long careers in health care, she dedicated herself to sharing the power of art and launched Rebecca LaChance Artistic Portraiture. She advocates for artists starting creative businesses and encourages them to "start where you are, use what you have". When she's not writing about photography or photographing women of great soul, she enjoys trading science/nerd humor with her husband, a fellow scientist.
Rebecca is an exceptional photographer and her distinctive style conveys more than just emotion. Utilizing her background in iconography, Rebecca connects deeply with her guests and, during their session, captures symbols in the portrait to convey a profound meaning and story. Those meanings and stories cause emotional reactions in people admiring the final artwork.
Things I am proud of...(in no particular order)
Education included working as a nursing attendant at age 16 to pay my way through future schooling.
Practiced as a Registered Nurse as I worked my way from an AAS in Nursing to a Ph.D. in Health of the Community/Health Policy (with a minor in Health Economics). Yes, I am a wonk! Analyzing data is like solving a giant puzzle.
Worked in every aspect of nursing from clinical work, intensive care nursing, taught all levels of nursing education, academia, management, research, local/state/federal levels, private alternative healing practice.
Named three times in the history of the United States Army Nurse Corps. (I was one of the first 2 nurses to break the "physician barrier" for the Walter Reed Medical Research Fellowship.)
Children and grandchildren (oooh, I love to hug those kidlets).
Traveled to some exotic places and met some beautiful people.
Studied with Spiritual Leaders around the world.
- Studied iconography with various international Masters of Iconography for 10 years.
- Self-directed learning for photography. Selected workshops and teachers for their expertise in various areas of photography to include Adam Marelli, John Paul Caponigro, Carolyn Mendelsohn Eaglesham, Larry Hersberger, Corinne Alavekios. Steve Saporito, Sterling Hoffman, Paulina Duczman (and others).
- Awarded over 400+ photography awards by photography peers.
- Awarded Merit in International Photography Competition
- The Portrait Masters awarded 3 Bronze awards
- Group art exhibits; Artomatic Frederick 2011, 2013, 2016
- Solo exhibitions; Spin the Bottle, 2015; Thurmont Thespian Theater, 2015;
- Selected for permanent Gallery Exhibition; Main Street Center, Thurmont, MD 2015-present.
- Solo Gallery Exhibiton; Frederick Chamber of Commerce, Jan-Feb. 2016.
- Rebecca LaChance Artistic Portraits Studio opened February, 2017.
- Juried exhibitions at Crestview Women's Health Center, 2015, 2016, 2017.
- Joint Exhibition with Rebecca Pearl: Women and Horses, Artist Angle Gallery, Frederick, MD. 2017
- Conceived the idea and sponsored the "Inspired by the Masters - Cézanne" exhibition. Artist Angle Gallery, Frederick, MD 2018
- Portrait Exhibition at Hidden Hills Farm and Vineyard, August 12-18, 2019.
Cover photo; Gateway Newspaper Informational; October, 2017 issue 1
Frederick Lifestyle Magazine, “A full and adventuresome life”, Visual Storyteller of Thurmont.” August 2019, Issue 2
"Senior portraits, as in portraits of people over 60, are among my favorites. Life shows beautifully in experienced faces. Rebecca LaChance Artistic Portraits has a gift for this."
-Shannon MacFarland Photography