Wow! An entire four day weekend to celebrate giving thanks. (Just in case we forgot during the other 361 days of the year!)
The poet David Whyte has an understanding of gratitude that I've never considered. I rather like the idea that gratitude is "Paying attention." I've adapted some of his thoughts for this weekend.
- "arises from paying attention, from being awake in the presence of everything that lives within and without us."
- "shows we understand and are equal to the gifted nature of life."
- "is the understanding that many millions of things must come together and live together and mesh together and breathe together in order for us to take even one more breath of air."
- "is knowing that we are miraculously, part of something, rather than nothing. Even if that something is temporarily pain or despair, we inhabit a living world, with real faces, real voices, laughter, the color blue, the green of the fields, the freshness of a cold wind, or the tawny hue of a winter landscape."
- "Thankfulness finds its full measure in generosity of presence, both through participation and witness."
- "the essence of gratefulness is seeing to the heart of privilege."
- "Thanksgiving happens when our sense of presence meets all other presences."
"Being unappreciative might mean we are simply not paying attention."
© 2015 David Whyte
In CONSOLATIONS: The Solace, Nourishment and Underlying Meaning of Everyday Words.
© David Whyte and Many Rivers Press 2015
Thanksgiving is a perfect time of year for me BECAUSE.....
Yep, I get a bunch of days to celebrate and give thanks for every new day that comes my way. It's been a tremendous year blessed by dear long-term friends, a year of new friends, new colleagues, new challenges, new learnings, new experiences, new adventures. I look forward to many more!
Here's a Thanksgiving/Birthday surprise for you!
Watch the website for Cyber Monday (tomorrow)! Gift certificates for fine art portraits will be offered at a special value for a limited time. Looking for the unique Christmas gift that will be meaningful for years to come? Your gift towards a portrait will do just that!
It's just one more way for me to say "Thank YOU" for a glorious year, for your support, your friendship, your creative pushes. Thank YOU!